layout

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent, 25 hours to Mobile and Valentine's Day

Homemade Laundry Detergent...

Ok, so I'm really excited about this detergent for several reasons:

1. SO easy to make: Grate one bar of soap (I used ivory because that's what I had on hand, but I want to find a more natural soap next time) and mix with one cup of Borax and one cup of washing soda. Use just one tablespoon of mixture per load.

2. It's a dry detergent mix so there's no giant bucket of slime to keep around. I put my mixture in a medium sized Glad food storage container.

3. It works great! I've used it on about 8 loads of laundry so far, both whites and darks and both come out very clean!

4. It's super cheap. The cost calculated out to about .05 per load.

5. It's been great for my allergies. I'm extremely allergic to most standard laundry detergents, but I haven't been bothered with this which is awesome.

25 Hours to Mobile...

10:30 pm: Leave for Mobile Alabama from J. Alexander's Restaurant.

2:30 am: *BANG ,CLASH, THUMP*. Lee runs over unidentified object in road on I-65.

2:55 am: Finally get to an exit just outside Cullman, Alabama. Engine stops as we pull off the exit and cruise into a closed gas station next to a Super 8 motel-the only things at this exit.

3:15 am: Check into Super 8.Try to sleep.

7:45 am: Lee checks car. Oil and gas everywhere. Drag all luggage, carseat and various other items into hotel. Call tow truck and have it taken to repair shop.

9:30 am: Damage assessed: punctured oil pan and gas tank, engine must be replaced-totaled. About this time we also realize there are no cars for rent in Cullman, Alabama. Next closest rentals available, Birmingham, Alabama an hour away.

12:30 pm: Lee's friend's pastor drives from Birmingham and takes us to a mall in the city.

2 pm: Arrive at the mall where we wait with 3 suitcases, a carseat, diaper bag, purses and other items like hobos inside the mall entrance.

2:30 pm: Titus is hungry....and we realize we left his bottle at the hotel. 45 minutes later we find the only bottle in the mall at $20.

4:30 pm: Lee's brother and sister-in-law arrive from Mobile to pick us up.

11:30 pm: Arrive in Mobile.


We are so thankful for so many things that happened during that 25 hours:

1. That the punctured gas tank didn't explode.

2. That we got to meet and be encouraged by Lee's friend's pastor from Birmingham and talk with him about church planting and his church.

3. We were able to laugh together and grow as a couple.

4. That we were able to enjoy time with Alan and Rachael on the ride back to Mobile.


Valentine's Day...

Needless to say, Valentine's day was almost passed over this year considering it came right after we returned from a very eventful weekend in Mobile. Nevertheless, I was able to spend most of the day with Titus and got to buy his first Valentin's day gift of a Mickey plush and I spent the rest of the day working on Lee's gift of a deck of cards of 52 reasons why I love him. It was a good exercise. Lee surprised me Friday by staying home from work and presenting me with a purple Orchid plant and a little notebook project he is calling his "Melissa Study Book". Apparently I am to write things about me in categories he provides so that he can "study" me. I thought that was very creative and thoughtful of him! I enjoyed this valentine's day.




No comments:

Post a Comment